Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oh how long it's been.

So, I've neglected this whole blog thing for a while. So I decided this morning to let my scribe take my thoughts.

I've been doing the guitar building school for a few months now. I'm totally in love. I keep myself super busy and wanting to learn more. It's an art form to do these beautiful instruments. Anyone can walk into a guitar store and pick up a guitar and look at it and say its easy to play, or great looking, or amazing. But to build one and see all the imperfections, to see in your mind how to make it better. That's where the art comes in. You have to make something that is a beautiful, functional, stand-out piece of work for people to see and appreciate.

Not everyone will see the flaws that I do, but hey, they say you are your own worst critic. But then again, there are numerous people out there who only play one type of guitar and only eat one type of food.

Here lately I have been focusing solely on guitar and amplifier building. Trying to take in as much as I can. But you can only learn so much from watching. I need to do more reading, I need to find other luthiers and builders to help me along my way. I have met some amazing luthiers in the class, and all I can say is ......is "wow"!  Make a google search of custom acoustic guitar builders, or guitar luthiers.  Amazing works!

Other than that I have been kinda missing the whole Army thing. Not so much the uniforms and PT and bullshit. Mostly the folks I went to Iraq with, the ones I was in AIT and stationed in South Korea with. I miss the camaraderie. I miss that "family".  All of them know I could do without the PT, shaving and being told to do boring tasks to make someone else look good. But, I'm living the dream and meaning it now.

I've been looking at guitar building jobs in Texas and Tennessee. Not sure which place I'd rather move to. But if all else fails, I'm thinking I should go back to school for my bachelor's in Environmental Science. Ya know, look at some dirt samples, check out some tree's, then say it has some weird fungus on it!

It's off to school I go. I have an acoustic and 2 other electric guitars that need my attention. When I'm finally done with school, I'll probably not be building a lot. But I will be doing repair work. If you or someone you know needs some work done in the Central Texas area, hit me up. I'll be home at Christmas and then I'll be back at the end of January.

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment